Meets: usually 2nd and 4th Mondays, January through April, Off-Site
The UUSM Great Decisions Discussion Group meets to discuss topics selected for inclusion in the Great Decisions annual briefing book, published by the Foreign Policy Association (FPA). Founded in 1918, the FPA is a non-profit organization dedicated to inspiring the American public to learn more about the world by spreading global awareness and understanding of foreign policy issues. The articles included in the organization’s annual briefing book are written by experts and offer policy options for U.S. officials as well as questions and tools for discussion.
Group meeting dates and FPA Great Decisions topics for 2020 were:
- 1/13/20: Climate Change and the Global Order
- 1/17/20: India and Pakistan
- 2/10/20: Red Sea Security
- 2/24/20: Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking
- 3/09/20: U.S. Relations with the Northern Triangle
- 3/23/20: China’s road into Latin America
- 4/13/20: The Philippines and the U.S.
- 4/27/20: Artificial Intelligence and Data
More detailed information about the 2020 topics is available here.
Participants in UUSM’s Great Decisions Discussion Group purchase the FPA’s briefing book, and the group also purchases one DVD featuring eight half-hour programs (one on each of the topics) to complement the material in the briefing book. Estimated cost for participation in the program is $36 per person, or $40 for a couple purchasing and sharing only one briefing book.
This group meets off-site, at the Belmont home of a UUSM Member.
For information, contact the Great Decisions Program Coordinator.