At least once each month, the collection taken at our Sunday morning worship-service is dedicated to the work of an organization the congregation chooses to support, and sometimes also an extraordinary event which needs our support, such as a hurricane or earthquake. Organizations are nominated for this honor each spring by members of the UU San Mateo community who are willing to champion their causes; all UUSM members vote to determine which organizations will be the beneficiaries of the special collections taken during the next congregational year.
Special Collections for the 2019-2020 Congregational Year
At the June 2, 2019 Congregational Meeting, the congregation selected the following organizations to be the beneficiaries of Special Collections taken during the 2019-2020 congregational year:
- Church of the Larger Fellowship – Worthy Now Prison Ministry Network
- Homework Central
- Mary Hollis Memorial Scholarship Fund / Black Parents Association of the San Mateo Union High School District (SMUHSD)
- NAACP San Mateo Branch 1068
- North Central Neighborhood Association
- Paradise Fire Fund of the UU Fellowship of Chico, CA
- Samaritan House
- Second Harvest Food Bank
- Sequoia High School Dream Club
- UUSM Sanctuary Program
Additionally, there is a Special Collection that takes place at the Christmas Eve service, benefiting the Minister’s Discretionary Fund.